Now that the schools have finished for summer and our thoughts turn to our yearly get-aways, here are some tips for summer break health:
* Make sure you have enough of your regular prescription medicines to last until you get home.
* Make sure you check with your pharmacist in plenty of time if you need any vaccinations or malaria tablets - vaccinations are best if you can have at least two weeks between having the injection and going away as it takes time for your immune system to gear up and recognise the vaccine.
* If you're going trekking off the tourist areas, make sure you carry a decent sterile first aid kit in case of injury.
* Use a good sunscreen - at least SPF factor 15 and UVA 4-star rating as a minimum. Apply frequently especially after swimming.
* Keep hydrated - especially so for young, elderly or those with health problems - using bottled water if you're unsure of the local water quality.
Happy holidays and if you've any questions, contact your pharmacist for advice.